Sunday 23rd June 2024
TERRY MAGUIRE DOUBLES
At St Andrews Bowling Club, Burnley First Round
Paired with AARON HAYHURST
v DEAN BUTLER & LEE LONGSANDS L 6-21 (off 3-3)
Perhaps the less said the better about a late invitation to join Aaron in a doubles competition at Burnley. We can do nowt but try and take something from the experience.
Neither of us played well and we didn't get a chance against this strong East Lancs pairing who clearly knew the green well enough.
Lee Longsands, recent winner of the Hugh Hornby Merit, knocked us out from the back if we did get in and Dean Butler led well and consistently from the front.
Winning the toss, with tails on a one pound coin that rolled on it's side and threatened to stay upright (that's how lush the green was) I trickled the jack in to the ditch straight away and that start epitomised the rest of the match for us.
We did limit our opponents to singles on the first four ends, but our resistance popped when conceding a four on end five and the curtains started to draw on us.
I was out of my depth here, straight in to the firepit on this green with no practice whilst Aaron just didn't perform to his usual standards and we were probably the easiest first round pickings from a stacked field of Lancashire and Yorkshire bowlers.
What a cracking green and set up though. I can only hope I get a crack at playing here again one day.
Neither of us played well and we didn't get a chance against this strong East Lancs pairing who clearly knew the green well enough.
Lee Longsands, recent winner of the Hugh Hornby Merit, knocked us out from the back if we did get in and Dean Butler led well and consistently from the front.
Winning the toss, with tails on a one pound coin that rolled on it's side and threatened to stay upright (that's how lush the green was) I trickled the jack in to the ditch straight away and that start epitomised the rest of the match for us.
We did limit our opponents to singles on the first four ends, but our resistance popped when conceding a four on end five and the curtains started to draw on us.
I was out of my depth here, straight in to the firepit on this green with no practice whilst Aaron just didn't perform to his usual standards and we were probably the easiest first round pickings from a stacked field of Lancashire and Yorkshire bowlers.
What a cracking green and set up though. I can only hope I get a crack at playing here again one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment