Thursday 20th June 2024
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-3
Vernons BC 206-154 Eagle Reds
v BRIAN PROCTOR L 15-21
I'd already had a long day in more ways than one, but it was also the Summer solstice. The longest day is the very best evening to be last match on at Vernons whilst their floodlights await a repair job one day.
I had a good idea I would be facing the very experienced Brian again here and sure enough that was the case. I knew what to expect and began the match playing very well indeed, picking up some well placed twos and Brian having to produce great woods and one imparticularly incredible bowl to keep my score down.
Slowly though, after a couple of ends where I could have led better, Brian had a decent run although I limited him to singles, even when he was stretching me out long distances. It was developing in to a good game. Brian just about in charge of momentum, I had a few ends cross with myself at rolling short, but I'd evened the score back at 12-12.
The next end was one I won't forget for two unbelievable reasons. Firstly, I picked up the wrong wood as Brian approached after sending his second. I've no idea why I did that, it really had been a long day, it was just a silly mistake.
It was on a shortish mark and the first three bowls weren't great, you could see what was happening from the mat pretty clearly and a Vernons teammate had also indicated to Brian he was one down.
It didn't need to be a toucher to win it, an easy bowl for Brian and he was well on his way to walking across before I stupidly picked up that second counter.
I'd already had a long day in more ways than one, but it was also the Summer solstice. The longest day is the very best evening to be last match on at Vernons whilst their floodlights await a repair job one day.
I had a good idea I would be facing the very experienced Brian again here and sure enough that was the case. I knew what to expect and began the match playing very well indeed, picking up some well placed twos and Brian having to produce great woods and one imparticularly incredible bowl to keep my score down.
Slowly though, after a couple of ends where I could have led better, Brian had a decent run although I limited him to singles, even when he was stretching me out long distances. It was developing in to a good game. Brian just about in charge of momentum, I had a few ends cross with myself at rolling short, but I'd evened the score back at 12-12.
The next end was one I won't forget for two unbelievable reasons. Firstly, I picked up the wrong wood as Brian approached after sending his second. I've no idea why I did that, it really had been a long day, it was just a silly mistake.
It was on a shortish mark and the first three bowls weren't great, you could see what was happening from the mat pretty clearly and a Vernons teammate had also indicated to Brian he was one down.
It didn't need to be a toucher to win it, an easy bowl for Brian and he was well on his way to walking across before I stupidly picked up that second counter.
"Oh flippin' 'eck Brian, I'm sorry I picked the wrong one up".
I was expecting something along the lines of a wry smile and, "Aye go on, I'll let you off... this time."
Instead, my opponent says, "Oh?? I'll take the two then I'm afraid", and raises both arms to the scorers!
I actually couldn't believe it. If it wasn't so clearcut, I'd have expected what was coming and obviously accepted the consequences. But it wasn't a tight end and it was perfectly clear what was going on. Also, this is Division Three, the basement division of the Leyland & District League, we weren't playing for money.
I was expecting something along the lines of a wry smile and, "Aye go on, I'll let you off... this time."
Instead, my opponent says, "Oh?? I'll take the two then I'm afraid", and raises both arms to the scorers!
I actually couldn't believe it. If it wasn't so clearcut, I'd have expected what was coming and obviously accepted the consequences. But it wasn't a tight end and it was perfectly clear what was going on. Also, this is Division Three, the basement division of the Leyland & District League, we weren't playing for money.
It was an honest, all be it daft mistake and I expected to receive a small dose of good sportsmanship under the circumstances. Instead, I thought my opponent was being ever so slightly an arsehole and inside I was riled.
I got back to 15-15 and had the chance for two, convinced I'd adjusted wide enough to pass his short one, but somehow knocked Brian up instead. That summed things up from then on.
Back to being launched long, corner to corner again, unfortunate not to get in at one side but nowhere near at the other where Brian was wrapping his lead around superbly. Brian then gets a sketchy two from all four bowls scattered yards away to go to nineteen and plays a belting lead next end. My head had gone by now. I just wanted to get out of there and go home. I sling both woods too strong and off the green. That's that. Total head fucker.
I should have laughed off the whole incident earlier. That way, I'd have stayed relaxed and maybe got myself back in to the mode I started the game in.
Rules are rules, yes. But there's also unwritten ones in sport. I suppose I'm judging the man based on what I would have done in that exact same circumstances.
How do you go home and rest easy though, after taking a point you know damn well wasn't yours - a defaulted one at best?
We are very different people.
Last week in the reverse fixture, Chris Jones kicked the bowls in before we had a look and I might have had two. I overlooked it, but said to myself I won't let him do it again. Maybe I'm too soft, too nice?
In the end, I decided not to shake Brian's hand. A rare and controversial move in this game. Then I hear folk chunnering at greenside implying I'm a bad sport... the absolute irony.
I explained to Brian why I was resisting to shake and that I wouldn't have done the same to him. He said rules are rules, that I'm a good player but I need to learn these things.
There's a stark element of truth in what he said there, but days later I'm still convinced it was shithousery to take the extra when it was clear it wasn't on.
Regarding the handshake, I said I'd sleep on it. I'll probably offer my hand one day and have the conversation, but for now I'm a bit pissed off and the dust hasn't settled with me.
One thing I do need to learn is not to let things affect my game. Just as happened last year against the very same player, unexpected happenings got my heckles up which probably cost me a better chance to win.
Yes, Brian Proctor is right in that I certainly need to learn and I will definitely put it down to experience.
Last week in the reverse fixture, my opponent Chris complained his teammates were "keeping dry" and not supporting around the green. They were away from home on a damp evening in old Leyland suburbia. On their own patch though, under a beautiful summer evening, they are a contrastingly rowdy lot. The football equivalent of visiting Vernons Bowling Club would be the 1980's Millwall. A rough around the edges venue, tough place to get a win, where something seems to happen more than you bargained for and the home contingent like to give you a bit of lip!
Steve Loynd was our only winner, to seventeen against my pal Lee Dalton in a tight game, with Lee coming back strong.
On the whole though, we took a proper battering in the Vernons 'Den'.
I got back to 15-15 and had the chance for two, convinced I'd adjusted wide enough to pass his short one, but somehow knocked Brian up instead. That summed things up from then on.
Back to being launched long, corner to corner again, unfortunate not to get in at one side but nowhere near at the other where Brian was wrapping his lead around superbly. Brian then gets a sketchy two from all four bowls scattered yards away to go to nineteen and plays a belting lead next end. My head had gone by now. I just wanted to get out of there and go home. I sling both woods too strong and off the green. That's that. Total head fucker.
I should have laughed off the whole incident earlier. That way, I'd have stayed relaxed and maybe got myself back in to the mode I started the game in.
Rules are rules, yes. But there's also unwritten ones in sport. I suppose I'm judging the man based on what I would have done in that exact same circumstances.
How do you go home and rest easy though, after taking a point you know damn well wasn't yours - a defaulted one at best?
We are very different people.
Last week in the reverse fixture, Chris Jones kicked the bowls in before we had a look and I might have had two. I overlooked it, but said to myself I won't let him do it again. Maybe I'm too soft, too nice?
In the end, I decided not to shake Brian's hand. A rare and controversial move in this game. Then I hear folk chunnering at greenside implying I'm a bad sport... the absolute irony.
I explained to Brian why I was resisting to shake and that I wouldn't have done the same to him. He said rules are rules, that I'm a good player but I need to learn these things.
There's a stark element of truth in what he said there, but days later I'm still convinced it was shithousery to take the extra when it was clear it wasn't on.
Regarding the handshake, I said I'd sleep on it. I'll probably offer my hand one day and have the conversation, but for now I'm a bit pissed off and the dust hasn't settled with me.
One thing I do need to learn is not to let things affect my game. Just as happened last year against the very same player, unexpected happenings got my heckles up which probably cost me a better chance to win.
Yes, Brian Proctor is right in that I certainly need to learn and I will definitely put it down to experience.
Last week in the reverse fixture, my opponent Chris complained his teammates were "keeping dry" and not supporting around the green. They were away from home on a damp evening in old Leyland suburbia. On their own patch though, under a beautiful summer evening, they are a contrastingly rowdy lot. The football equivalent of visiting Vernons Bowling Club would be the 1980's Millwall. A rough around the edges venue, tough place to get a win, where something seems to happen more than you bargained for and the home contingent like to give you a bit of lip!
Steve Loynd was our only winner, to seventeen against my pal Lee Dalton in a tight game, with Lee coming back strong.
On the whole though, we took a proper battering in the Vernons 'Den'.
No comments:
Post a Comment