Blog Archive

23/06/2024

FAVOURITE GREEN BAR NONE

Monday 17th June 2024
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2 :
Bretherton 156-121 Eagle & Child 'A'
v JOHN BAINES W 21-12

Two visits to Bretherton's green in the space of a few weeks. I'm a lucky boy. I could happily play there every week.
John started off really well and looked confident, winning the first three ends and knocking out a good two I'd made. He was aggressive when I got in, knocking me out a few more times, but if you keep on getting two decent woods up there your opponent has a lot to do. I managed to keep up a standard I was really happy with most of the game and put some scoring distance between us
Unfortunately, I did get a bout of allbutitus - an affliction when you get to twenty and start getting tetchy, sloppy or both.
It started having sent the jack for the match, but then waiting for one of my teammates to pass on a mark I nailed to win here a couple of weeks ago with a very good two. The wait didn't do me favours, this time I'm a yard short then more than two yards over. John wraps it up with his second bowl, then wins the next two ends and I'm nowhere. Thankfully, a really scatty end between us playing off a ridge down to the clubhouse ends up being mine by the slightest of margins from George Lloyd's double-check measuring.
Not a graceful finish by any stretch, but I played well for most of the match and it was a good away win.
Only two winners in total on the night for our struggling "A' team, Geoff Bibby our other winner with a good victory over Peter Stringfellow. Bretherton showing their strength in depth on the night despite key players Neil and Sharon Rigden away in the Isle of Man for the Tourists competitions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment