Blog Archive

09/08/2024

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

Monday 6th August 2024
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2:
Eagle & Child 'A' 144-145 Brownedge Blue
v KEVIN TRUBY W 21-15

Galavanting on holidays and short breaks lately, I've not been a stalwart regular on a Monday evening and so I really appreciated captain Steve Marginson saving my place.
The least I could do was get a win for the team and came out of a good game the right side against recent Longton Doubles winner, Kevin Truby.
There was little in it from the off, but the key to an eventual win seemed to be not going behind at any point in this nip and tuck affair. I showed a bit of uncharacteristic patience and good concentration levels which paid off.
Turning over peg successfully proved to be a particular deal breaker, either stealing in or adding a second counter and helped make the difference, as was mentioned by my opponent at the end. We were pretty much level in the scores department before I got a strong finish together to play some very good bowls at the right time.
It was a good game, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't have moaned too much if I'd lost, but it was all about those last four or five ends and I managed to put Kevin under a bit of pressure when it mattered.
Our team lost by a chalk for the second week running and despite taking five wins from eight games. That the three defeats were all to thirteen suggests ominous bad luck. With only one team relegated from this division though, some more reasonable point scoring should he enough to stay out of trouble. 
A notable win on the night was for junior player Henry Hoyles who has been chucked in at the deep end this season but seems to take it all in his stride. A superb win against Brownedge man Nathan Hargreaves. This match went right to the final end, but Henry played a perfect lead to put a serious feather in his cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment