Blog Archive

10/08/2024

POOR DO AT WATERLOO

Wednesday 8th August 2024
AUTUMN FLEETWOOD WATERLOO TROPHY
At Euston Green, Fleetwwod
FIRST ROUND QUALIFYING
v ANTHONY WALKER (Manchester) L 8-21 (off 3-3)

Of my previous five appearances having a go at the new Waterloo competition, first round draws have been brutal, including Lee Johnstone, Greg Smith and Dan Petcher. If you know, you know. This was yet another tough draw against Anthony who went on to despatch two more players on the day and qualify for the finals weekend along with the esteemed names of Callum Wraight, Noel Burrows and Craig Hopwood.
I came to Fleetwood hopeful, but probably more prepared than many to accept an exit at the first hurdle. That said, it was the manner of defeat which left me deflated and wondering why I bothered.
I was poor. I can play much better than this and after a promising start, just seemed to get myself in a pickle and unable to find a decent length. Confidence drained and I was easy pickings for my opponent, to whom, after ridiculously knocking a stray wood of his up to make two, I apologised for not giving him a decent warm-up match for the second round.
It wasn't all about me and my shortcomings though. Anthony played well and showed his class, particularly on short round pegs of the crown which were very difficult to fathom from his tightly positioned left-handed delivery.
At all-but, I managed to whip around his slightly short first ball to touch. Thoughts of getting double figures became a reasonable hunch until his second bowl tapped mine out to perfection. This chap knew what he was doing on here.
I made for the exit a touch embarrassed - not by the result at all - but generally the way I had played. I ended up nattering to Andy Lund before I departed. I played against Andy in the local leagues a couple of years ago and he had a cracking run to make the Quarter Finals here last year. I questioned the point of turning up for such competitions, but he was adamant I should stick at it and keep mopping up the experiences.
The Problem is that I'm just not playing well on the day in most of these singles comps and rarely scrape through a round. Only a decent game touches the sides amongst the sort of calibre of players I encounter. I've been very poor overall at the Waterloo competitions this year and I can't help but once again question myself about the justification of time and money spent entering when there seems so little sign of any progress having a go at this level.
It is about experience and so I'll take the experienced Mr Lund's advice of course and see what happens at the next singles comp. I played a good game against John Coupe back in May at the Hugh Hornby Merit. I can do it. I CAN do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment