After the Metters match I felt like I needed a short break from bowling. Away for a couple of nights too, I was going to miss our Chorley League match on Monday - which ended up postponed anyway - our well baked green not surprisingly struggled to drain water when rain finally came our way and in plentiful supply, after a good six weeks without a drop.
To the point then, a practice a few days in to the damper weather on the eve of my next match and our green was looking and running fantastic. I mentioned the other week it looked like it would recover well after some rain and it's honestly in as good a fettle as I've experienced it in my five years at the club. John Waddecar has taken on the job of greenkeeper with Geoff Bibby's assistance, initially in a sort of happy to help out role I think, but quickly gaining knowledge and skills for the job to transform the surface conditions around to superb at present.
The Eagle & Child has not been the best green in the world the last few years. Moss, bare patches, bobbles to name but a few issues... but now John and Geoff's magic was on show for all to see.
Unfair comments were aired about the green at last November's AGM from one or two members... well eat your hat chaps. It's looking well and running well!
John had just finished mowing before my arrival and he remains adamant the green is still one year shy of the full three year project to restore it to glory, but it's looking mint already. John and Geoff are doing a cracking job.
No comments:
Post a Comment