Blog Archive

03/06/2025

IN THE PRESENCE OF GREATNESS

Thursday 29th May 2025
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-1:
Brownedge (180) 6-6 Eagle Blue (177)
v BRIAN DUNCAN L 8-21

The Brownedge captain might have been one short of enough regulars to make a team of ten this week, but had one hell of a reserve at his disposal.
It's well above my station to even begin to write a full account of Brian Duncan's achievements and legendary status in crown green bowls. The most famous name in the game.
He's won everything there is to win and in many cases multiple times. When the prize money was big in crown green bowling's golden era of the 1970's and 1980's, Brian made a good living from the game.
Now eighty years of age, a very sprightly eighty at that, he's still got it. Not what he had in those days of near invincibility, but still high quality by most players' standards. 
Watching Brian come over to set the mats up and wondering if he was actually playing tonight, Nige and I discussed the fanciful prospect of playing against him. We agree it's a win-win situation whatever the result. Minutes later, our captain Aaron says, "John, you're on now, you've got The GOAT!"
I got overexcited. Suddenly I needed a pee and jogged off to the loo! Having briefly met the man before, when I served him as a customer at work last year, I felt in the presence of greatness even then. So to have a match against him? Fairytale stuff.
I should have played it cooler perhaps, but I can't apologise for my enthusiasm. I mean come on, imagine a local league match in other games of an equivalent opponent... thrashing it out on court with John McEnroe, or pitting your wits against Steve Davis on the snooker table, Phil Taylor at the oche. 
I shot out of the loo as quickly as possible and the greatest of all time is waiting for me. No surprises perhaps as adrenaline sees me send the jack off straight away, but I did win that first end nonetheless.
I tried my best to stick with him and end for end, I felt much more in the game than the scoreline might suggest. I sent quite a few good ones to no avail as Brian had a knack of putting up an even better one when he needed it. He's been doing that for decades I dare say and this mon knows every square foot of this Brownedge green. Every one of my eight points was earned and the twosome I scored was a particularly well placed pair which got the dry response from Brian of, "Good bowls. Now don't do it again". "As if I'll get the opportunity!", was my prompt reply.
I wasn't wrong.
My lead bowls just weren't up to scratch overall on the night and they had to be to push this great champion any further on his home patch. I was disappointed not to get double figures at least, but what an experience to play the grand master. 
Generally Brian doesn't play evening games anymore and sticks to the afternoon veterans leagues where he still doesn't lose many, so it was an incredible twist of fate that brought about the opportunity to play against him in the first place.
Mr Duncan then comes over with a consolatory pint of Carlsberg - probably the best player in the world. 
He seemed a quiet and very modest chap, who certainly doesn't strut around with his illustrious past wrapped around his neck. A proper sporting great. 
A little later when I returned the compliment from the bar, he did have a brief natter with me and reflected on the game saying, "You didn't play too badly at all". I'll take that!
Division One in the Leyland & District continues to be a tough school with just three wins from nine so far and still seeking a success away from home. But I'm really enjoying it, I feel my game is coming along and this season as a whole so far has been a rich tapestry of competitive games, enriched to the top of the enrichment scale by this chance encounter with the crown green bowling GOAT. Crazy stuff. 
Teammate Steve Wilson said that I took one for the team, but it would have been nice to stick a few more points on the board and they would have been important ones. Despite six winners, we drew the match having lost the aggregate by just three chalks. Having said that, six points away from home is never a bad return in this league and keeps us in a relatively safe position for now.

BACK DOWN TO EARTH! 
Although only in to year five of my crown green activities, I knew full well about Brian Duncan a long time ago. Memories of watching him on TV back in the 1980's with my Dad or at Grandma's in the Greenall Whitley, possibly Waterloo and whatever else was televised back then. This only heightened my giddiness about playing him. I bet my Dad would have loved it and been a little bit proud. He was a darter who occasionally faced local professional Eric Parkinson at a pub in Coppull, beating him a few times too.
Back down to earth though when I got home. It was like every sarcastic quip I'd ever uttered came back to thump me in the stomach.
My wife says: "How did you get on?"
I reply: "Oh my gosh I ended up playing the greatest of all time, Brian Duncan!"
She says: "Oh WOW! Brian Duncan?!!!"
I say: [Gushing] "YEAH!!"
She says: [Blank expression] "Oh right, never heard of him"
Crushed. 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment