Blog Archive

18/06/2025

BACK IN WITH AWAY WIN

Thursday 12th June 2025
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-1:
Bretherton 'B' (201) 10-2 Eagle Blue (169)
v TONY PORTER W 21-19

Rested from the team last week, I had it coming. That Metters game cost me really, so all I needed to do was beat Brian Duncan on his own green to save my place! 
As if that was ever going to happen, so three defeats in a row and the axe was overdue.
Back in and back on it a fortnight later and a first away win in Leyland & District's upper sanctum finally pieced together with a visit to the familiar territory of Bretherton.
Whilst turning out to be an equally close battle as last night's encounter, this time I just about kept on the right side of the scorecard and stayed there.
Starting the match as smoothly as my practice had gone, I shot off in to a good lead, but once Tony got hold of the block he was putting very close ones up going widthways over the middle of the crown to rack up three consecutive twos and a single to get right back in it.
I was never far away though and remained confident of breaking back and after getting myself ahead again, a succession of Tony's piddly short marks caught me out and I really should have called for the long tapes at some point. On one particular end that was truly well shy of the required nineteen metre distance, I decided in my wisdom that Tony's lead was beatable and then ended up conceding two. I was a bit cross with myself about that, as a good old kick of a wood in to the gutter (behaviour for which I seem renowned in these parts for some reason?!) did testify.
I pushed on again with some good winners down the far side until Tony went back over the crown again. A couple went by when I couldn't squeeze him out and the scores tightened up to 18-18. Two more great bowls from Tony looked to have put him in the driving seat, but then I found a massive bowl when I needed it. Trickling down to absolute perfection - and it had to - saving two and making one.
I then decided to play my first straight peg mark of the evening for a bit of simplicity and hopefully see the game out, but there's not many simple roads on this green and both my bowls just strayed left over the last yard for Tony to find enough room to draw level again.
I was surprised he didn't take us over the middle once more and instead went down the far side but didn't lead well enough and I got back in, needing just the one which I picked up with a nicely adjusted second bowl.
Only Steve Wilson joined me in the Eagle winners column with victory over Sharon Rigden. Not a good team return and our side desperately need a win soon to keep some breathing space above the drop zone.
It's Bretherton at home next week in the return fixture having marked the halfway point of the season. Their team will have a different look with some of them playing in the Isle of Man Bowls Festival, but they have strength in depth and will be a difficult bunch to pick up points again next Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment