Wednesday 10th June 2025
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2: Eagle & Child 'A' (134) 4-7 Westhoughton 'A' (140)
v BRYAN BOOTH L 17-21Sometimes a visiting bowler comes along and takes to our Eagle green straight away. Never more so in my time than against this fella.
Bryan Booth, probably clinging on to late thirties by a thread - which defies the undertones of a more vintage sounding name - was the loudest and rowdiest in their team but a gentleman on the green and a bloody good player to boot.
A short, sharp flick of a delivery followed by the tension release of a stamping foot, Bryan certainly stamped his authority on this game tonight.
Excellent lead bowling culminated in an early deficit of 2-9 and quite frankly I was still fairly happy with how I was playing.
A former version of myself would have capitulated at this point. However the recently installed belief in what I am doing saw me keep cool and persist in trying to get a break.
Having finally managed to get one closer, I looked to have wasted my opportunity to keep hold of the jack but got lucky as my opponent knocked me in when going for a two.
I managed to pull myself right back in it to ten across, but just couldn't nudge in front. Bryan played us round pegging across the clubhouse and I that's my bread and butter I thought, possibly opening an opportunity my way. But he mastered it in both directions straight away, playing it perfectly and for a few more ends I couldn't get in again.
On the back of another mistake from Bryan, this time sending the jack off, I made that pay and then started to catch him out on a few ends for the first time in the match and recovered again to 17-18. Just when it was looking like the Westhoughtoner could possibly crack, he came back strong to play a good winner next end and then send two fantastic efforts pegging in to one of our tricky aloping corners to seal the win. I had to have a go at them but flung it a bowl's underneath.
I couldn't complain. I really enjoyed the match and should be pleased to some degree that I made a game of good game it.
I had nothing but admiration for my opponent who picked up our green very well indeed, played a round peg game and wasn't shy of going for twos when there was risk.
With not much to go off his record in this league, digging around to find where he plays more often, it turns out Bryan has only won one out of six in the Bolton Distrist top division. If he plays like that most of the time, that league must be bloody tough is all I can think.
This Wednesday nighter was a rearranged fixture. Four winners each, but chalks to the visitors by just six meant another defeat, but enough to climb above Coppull and out of the bottom three. Next up in the Chorley league? A visit to Coppull of course.
Bryan Booth, probably clinging on to late thirties by a thread - which defies the undertones of a more vintage sounding name - was the loudest and rowdiest in their team but a gentleman on the green and a bloody good player to boot.
A short, sharp flick of a delivery followed by the tension release of a stamping foot, Bryan certainly stamped his authority on this game tonight.
Excellent lead bowling culminated in an early deficit of 2-9 and quite frankly I was still fairly happy with how I was playing.
A former version of myself would have capitulated at this point. However the recently installed belief in what I am doing saw me keep cool and persist in trying to get a break.
Having finally managed to get one closer, I looked to have wasted my opportunity to keep hold of the jack but got lucky as my opponent knocked me in when going for a two.
I managed to pull myself right back in it to ten across, but just couldn't nudge in front. Bryan played us round pegging across the clubhouse and I that's my bread and butter I thought, possibly opening an opportunity my way. But he mastered it in both directions straight away, playing it perfectly and for a few more ends I couldn't get in again.
On the back of another mistake from Bryan, this time sending the jack off, I made that pay and then started to catch him out on a few ends for the first time in the match and recovered again to 17-18. Just when it was looking like the Westhoughtoner could possibly crack, he came back strong to play a good winner next end and then send two fantastic efforts pegging in to one of our tricky aloping corners to seal the win. I had to have a go at them but flung it a bowl's underneath.
I couldn't complain. I really enjoyed the match and should be pleased to some degree that I made a game of good game it.
I had nothing but admiration for my opponent who picked up our green very well indeed, played a round peg game and wasn't shy of going for twos when there was risk.
With not much to go off his record in this league, digging around to find where he plays more often, it turns out Bryan has only won one out of six in the Bolton Distrist top division. If he plays like that most of the time, that league must be bloody tough is all I can think.
This Wednesday nighter was a rearranged fixture. Four winners each, but chalks to the visitors by just six meant another defeat, but enough to climb above Coppull and out of the bottom three. Next up in the Chorley league? A visit to Coppull of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment