Blog Archive

25/03/2026

COUNTY CLASS REQUIRED JUST TO BE THE BEST ON THE STREET

A perfect Spring morning for the reopening of our green at the Eagle & Child. The most eager beavers at 10am were Aaron and I for a long overdue opportunity to get the Hargreaves Cup back on the mantle piece. After an initial problem opening up - with the Winter lock and combination still on the door - eventually after verbally swearing to an official club secrets act on the phone, we were in.
Before us in an imaginative sense, was a whole season of endless possibilities and in reality, a superbly presented playing surface. Greenkeeper John Waddecar's hard work most evident and also the bonny cut from our new mower, mainly funded most miraculously by the endless efforts of our treasurer Pat Lewis.
Aaron insisted I was the first to officially roll the new season out, with comparisons of swinging a Champagne bottle against a sea vessel in mind. A few warm up ends and we were down to business. Early exchanges went either way until I pulled away to lead 11-7 and with 12-7 pending unless Aaron found something special, I was quietly starting to fancy my chances.
Something special was was found though as Aaron played through to knock me out and make two for himself. I just couldn't get back in for the want of trying as the lad next door went on a break of thirteen to lead 11-20. I managed to squeeze a few points back to 14, but the Cup remains next door and despite early promise I could have no arguments about it.
We always have a more meaningless second match in which generally I fair better and at 19-17 I spurned the opportunity to get one back, finishing with two poor ends and leaving it far too easy for Aaron. All good stuff to get me sharpened up for the pending league season though and an enjoyable couple of hours.
Young Aaron Hayhurst's progress in the game has continued it's upward trajectory. He broke in to the county squad last year and will be making his debut in a Lancs & Fylde shirt this season. That's the standard required just to be the best on my street (and even then, only for a day)

No comments:

Post a Comment