Tuesday 17th March 2026
LONGRIDGE SPRING FLOODLIT SINGLES
First Qualifying Round
v TERRY WOOD L 19-21
My first competitive game since the Autumn Singles here last October and against another opponent I've met before at Longridge. A close win a couple of years ago, but tonight it was Terry who had the upper hand.
After going two up on the first end, I sent two grand ones next end and had a right to think at least one of them was going to count, but Terry stole in with an absolutely perfect wood when only perfection would suffice. That set the tone of the match really as nothing I sent felt safe against the woods of Mr Wood, who also led very well to then stretch out a lead of 3-9 and maintain that six point gap to 9-15.
A short spell of joy followed, including a belting strike to take out Terry's winner with a thick hit that made two. But that came to an end when sending an over-ambitious jack placement, pegging acutely to the sloping green edge. I couldn't back it up with a decent bowl, ditched my second and Terry sent an incredible toucher. I got a bit a cross with myself, tensed up with my delivery and sent some highly annoying short bowls when at least saving a point should have been accomplished. It was looking like curtains as my opponent regained control and stretched out to 12-20.
Terry wasn't completely immune to sending the odd clanger though and I couldn't believe my luck when he sent two on the same end. Bowling for the match on a tricky mark, he made the same mistake twice. So with the luxury of my first bowl counting despite being possibly two yards short and wide, my second bowl only had to reach and certainly didn't need to be a toucher - but it was - which gave me a little lift. I did say to Terry after that, "If I hadn't picked two up there I'd have shoved my head through that (nearby cabin) window", I was joking, I think!
Cue a comeback, round pegging the extremities of the near side of the green. Decent lead bowls, frustratingly not quite matched by my second, but enough to get some momentum together. Tense buttocks on many occasions as Terry's bowls so nearly sneaked in or ran through a gap, but I held out to 19-20 and suddenly there was a chance of turning this game on it's head in my favour.
Sticking to the same patch of green, my lead bowl pegged short by a just over a foot and Terry finally landed one to break my little spell of superiority. The only shot to play was to smack the jack off the green and kill the end. It was a damn good effort but I missed contact by a whisker and turned to shake Terry's hand.
To be honest, he deserved the win really and I told him so. I played indifferently and yet still managed to run this chap close who, aside from the odd end, played very well indeed. It's my first game of the year and I should take a very positive outlook from it despite losing the game. On form Terry remained victorious on the night with two more wins to book a place in the last eight for Finals Night.
No comments:
Post a Comment