v RICHARD LATHAM W 21-20
My goodness me, what another tough game this turned out to be. Richard is one of Hoghton's finest and a quality bowler. I felt he was the better player - he is the better player - but eventually I ground out a victory to restore confidence as well as belief after last Thursday's pasting.
I was off the land for my first four bowls and Richard needed no encouragement. Four down straight away against this chap was a serious wound. But I settled down after some early nerves and began to compete at the level required. I might have briefly nudged ahead before we went in to double figures, but then Richard just kept squeezing and generally I was chasing, managing to cap the deficit to four but unable bridge a gap of less than two.
I was putting some really good bowls up that Richard often bloody well beat with pure class. But equally I was like a pesky insect that could still smell something palpable and wouldn't go away.
Finally, Richard's intensity just lapsed for a couple of successive ends and I got within one point until dipping back again to 17-19. I should have accepted Steve Wilson's call on the sidelines to return the jack after my lead bowl got hit... but the daredevil within had taken over, which didn't pay off as I missed the land twice and was lucky not to concede two.
Next end though I finished off with a two myself from a cheeky turnover of peg which brought us to nineteen across and at that moment, I thought I've got to be pleased with the way I'm playing here. Not everything had gone to plan, but here I was and very much still in it.
One down next end after a poor lead, I then saved the match when Richard had left some room but it was still a pressure bowl and had to get the length pretty much nailed.
Down to the last deciding end then and this one was scrappy too as a bit of tension had clearly set in. Keeping it simple I thought, playing a fairly short and straight mark I found the length but shockingly missed the line. This sort of end had been bread and butter for Richard all evening but was amazed as he bowled his first short. My second is on the road this time, but wouldn't stop. Just missing tapping the jack up, I run a few feet over. I was convinced Richard would mop up now, but he adjusted too strongly and also trickled too long.
I thought I was maybe on until my leaning bowl toppled over the wrong way with comedy timing and then I was convinced it was Richard's. I almost conceded, but thankfully talked myself in to asking for a measure and I was in by less than an inch. A bit of luck but some gritty determination and somehow I got to twenty-one first.
A properly firm handshake from my opponent, but very brief as he darted away in probably utter frustration and disappointment at not managing to shake me off at some point. In the end it was a bad game for Richard to lose and a great one for me to win.
The team picture was equally close. Four wins each against league leaders Hoghton, we won the aggregate by three chalks to take the match and strengthen our position. Not quite enough to take top spot, but with another big game next week on the cards away to third placed Bretherton a chance to further establish top two credentials.
No comments:
Post a Comment