Blog Archive

23/05/2026

BLOWN AWAY

Thursday 21st May 2026
Leyland & District League Div-1: Eagle Blues (159) 2-11 Lostock Cons 'A' (202)

v ANDY GRAHAM L 5-21


Stunned in to submission after just eight ends as Andy Graham soared in to a 15-0 lead on my own green. It was uncomplicated brilliance from the Lostock player who played short and straight on the same mark and was relentlessly good at it.

Conceding two on the first two ends brought about a wry smile, for that's par for the course at home this season. But two or three ends later and still no nearer breaking Andy's spell, the shock set in. Eyes became squinted and flickering, my right arm felt heavy and disconnected to instructions from upstairs in the cranium. I was getting a battering.

I didn't play well but I didn't get chance to. My opponent came with a plan and exploited it to perfection. I don't think it was nonchalant to think I had a chance against this chap, especially at home. But this was a stark reminder to always expect the unexpected in this game. Form is only temporary as I touched on a few weeks ago and tonight was like dropping off a cliff after what's been a brilliant season so far.

On the few occasions I got hold of the jack, either Andy put up a cracker or I cocked up. When I did break for the first time, I stupidly sent the jack off and on a massive opportunity to drag some points back in front of the pavillion I once again misplaced the jack and then sent two wearily short bowls.

I'd gone. One spark of a positive was that I didn't react and start kicking bowls in the gutter like my former self. Sure, I felt like launching the bloody things over the fence, but thankfully I kept it together.

Andy played a superbly tight game and if playing to his strengths away from home, inadvertently exposed my weaknesses. I mainly practice round pegging, specifically finding difficult marks and this has naturally developed in to my matchplay.

But despite this being a more creative and generally beneficial style to the development of my bowling skills, I've overlooked that it's also one-dimensional. 

So back to the drawing board and if I get a practice this Sunday I'm going to mix it up a bit. I just couldn't cope with the twenty metre straight peg game and against a player who executed it very well indeed 

It wasn't just a bad night at the office for me, up against league champions Lostock Cons who are aiming to win it for a third successive year, Eagle Blues suffered our first - if inevitable - sore defeat with only two winners. Lostock came here with serious game faces on and I think our early season form had earned a little bit of their respect. 

Our captain Aaron was keen to remind us all that individually or as a team, this result should not define our season and he's right. Lostock Cons are a damn good side stacked with real quality bowlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment