Blog Archive

27/05/2026

THIS IS NOW A STICKY PATCH

Monday 25th May 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Bretherton 'B' (130) 2-9 Eagle & Child 'A' (154)

v JOAN BULLEN L 19-21


This is becoming a bit of a sticky patch now after a few mistakes at key moments contributed to my first defeat in the Chorley League this season.

Joan Bullen was never going to be a walk in the park and especially on her home green. So before I start slating myself, I should put on record that Joan played well and absolutely won the game on merit.

From my point of view though, close game as it was, I let a good position slip quickly. I got myself in trouble, got out of it again and then cocked up when the match was up for grabs. 

Most ends were pretty close and the measures were out more than average. Every point had to be fought for, Joan was rarely far away but I'd kept my nose in front. At 15-10 though, a mini-capitulation as Joan finds a mark along a ridge that I just didn't fathom and three twos were punched back at me. Particularly disappointed with the third of those twos, for there was ample space to save one at the very least but I ran through a bit too long. I did save next end, got the scores back straight at 18 across, then played a good winner that I frustratingly couldn't quite make two of to nudge back in front 

Bowling for the match then, I make a real mess. My lead bowls flies off the green in to the gutter and my second is horribly short. Easy pickings for Joan and we're 19-20. 

My opponent leads brilliantly, my first bowl nicks Joan's but doesn't change things and my second just whistles by on the outside. A good hit there and it could have been game to me, but that's how it goes and it was that flurry of twos that did the damage. Joan came back well and I got what I deserved in the end. 

My own issues aside, it was a cracking win for our team who cemented second place in the table with more security after bagging six winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment