Blog Archive

05/05/2026

SMILES BETTER THIS TIME

Monday 4th May 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Anderton St Joseph's 'A' (132) 3-8 Eagle & Child 'A' (153)
v BERNARD ROSCOE W 21-10

It's knocking on four years since my last and only visit to this sweetly situated green behind the church. For a third successive match I was drawn a repeat opponent and I can report that Bernard's rather cantankerous demeanour on the green has not softened.
What I also remember from July 2022 was coming up against a good home bowler, much better than me and yet giving him a reasonable game on this tricky green with all sorts of interesting contours.
Enjoying my best run of form yet though, I quietly fancied my chances this time. Unlike recent routine, practice actually went well and then I even managed to get off to a good start. A very good start in fact.
I made it hard work for Bernard from the off, leading well, more often than not sending a good second bowl too and forcing him to play through which kept me down to singles, but then a few twos stacked up and I overhear the score at 15-2. This was looking like quite a turnaround. But I had got away with the last two ends a little and felt my dominance start to break. Sure enough, Bernard got in and had a run with the block but I was still there or thereabouts on most ends to let him know I wasn't going to capitulate and then found a good bowl to snuffle out a comeback. A bit of experience came in to play now. I realised I didn't have to hit the heights of earlier, but simply match my opponent end for end and twenty-one would come soon enough to see the game out.
A couple more well landed second bowls to break Bernard with the block and I was almost there at 20-8. Marginally holding one for the game, there was room to beat it so Bernard surprised me coming in with weight and fortuitously or not, knocked mine out to make two. I took my bowls out of the equation so it was clear he scored two, but on arrival he seemed confused, looked at his two bowls, shrugged his shoulders and actually spoke to me, "What's happened? You said you were on?". I said, "I was! You knocked me out and made two... good hit, it's two to you..", and like the rise of the morning sun, Bernard found a smile and there was even a little chuckle to himself. He didn't lead well next end though and I landed a great first bowl to count and that was it. As limp a handshake as I've ever experienced and we're done.
It was an excellent team performance with five winners and the aggregate here, placing us second in the table at this early stage of the Chorley & District season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment