Blog Archive

09/05/2026

THE EAGLES ARE SOARING

Thursday 7th May 2026
Leyland & District League Div-1: Eagle Blues (183) 9-3 Bretherton 'B' (146)

v GRAHAM WHITTLE W 21-11


In terms of league position at least, this might well be the pinnacle of the Eagle Blues season after a fantastic win against a very strong Bretherton side. Once again we surpassed our pre-match expectations with seven winners and chalks to sit third place in the table with a quarter of the term now behind us. The most difficult two quarters now await us, but let's see what we can pick up during this period. It's now perfectly reasonable to reset our sights on the mid-table comfort zone having already amassed a twenty-eight point cushion over the bottom four. 

Harry Derbyshire was our man of the match, with a remarkable 21-3 win over classy local bowler Neil Ridgen who was fresh from winning both Southport Champion of Champions and a doubles competition last weekend. Hell of a performance from Harry. Excellent wins also for young Henry and his old man Matt Hoyles, Steve Marginson, also unbeaten Aaron Hayhurst and Chris Thompson maintaining their unblemished records with hard fought victories. It was another great result for myself too, which I will get around to reviewing a little further down eventually, but even on these pages of utter self indulgent musings I thought our team's endeavours should get priority billing.

So this prolonged block of the most difficult fixtures are now upon us, starting with a visit to league leaders Chorley St Joseph's next week. On paper, we are just four points behind them after six games which is an incredible statistic, but the reality is we are massive underdogs there next week. This game could turn out be a brutal reality check for both myself and the team, but whilst we continue to surprise and with no pressure or expectations to deal with, we have grounds to be believe we can go there and snatch a few points. 

On to my game then, so with confidence sky high - bordering the danger of crossing in to the realms of cockiness - in advance of facing whichever of Bretherton's big hitters I was going to face, I decided to take a mental raincheck. An exercise in keeping myself grounded. So whilst commending a great start to the season, shoving that away in a drawer for now and remembering my humble place in crown green society to start all over again.  Form is only temporary, which runs true in any sport and when things are going well is also a time when you are most vulnerable. The ladder above becomes shorter and more difficult to climb, whilst the slippery slope beneath expands in anticipation of a mighty fall.

I've certainly learned this as an athlete, it's the most likely time when injury strikes. Injury management isn't quite the issue in the far more sedate activity of bowling, but mentality is paramount and this year, so far I seem to have taken control of this at last. 

It was Graham Whittle waiting for me on the mat this evening. Oddly I had a feeling I'd get Graham earlier in the day. We know each other having worked with his wife, Pat, many years ago. Retired joiner Graham did some work at my house which I can't believe is now twenty-odd years ago. I still see them regularly as customers and often end up talking a load of bowls. 

Graham had been wrapping them around the jack during practice, but as if I didn't know already I was up against a tough opponent. 

First end went to Graham with a great lead and I was pleased enough with my second bowl to save one. On the next couple of ends though, my opponent had a bit of a blip and two twos set me off on a further run with the block, putting up good leads and surviving Graham's best efforts. Surprisingly I found myself soaring away to 15-5, but just like a few nights earlier, I had a bit of a wobble on fifteen. This included a schoolboy error of mistakenly leading out with one of Graham's woods. The vastly experienced Bretherton man took five from the next three ends and was holding another two before I adjusted really well after a bonk first bowl to sneak back in.

I was then very fortunate to win a terrible end, with Graham having loads of room to win it but missing what in crown green terms was an open goal.

He later rued that moment as being the turning point that quashed hopes of a comeback. I was just starting to get a little irate at this point, unhappy with my own bad bowls despite winning the end and the nearby Lee Kershaw signals with his hands for me to keep calm. A timely reminder, for I was still in a great position to win the match. 

Nudging on to nineteen, I send two beauties in front of our pavillion, but maybe too good as it left a target for Graham who sent an excellent strike but only knocked out one. I was disappointed with myself to go a little short and narrow with both bowls next end on my bread and butter mark and Graham sent one spot on. His lead was good next end too, but I managed to pip it according to teammate Geoff Bibby and so requiring just one to win I didn't send my next bowl and carried the mat. It was close actually and Graham rightly asked for a measure, but I trusted Geoff's judgement and sure enough the tape fell a little short on Graham's bowl.

It was a good game with lots of closely contested ends and another victory that is starting to cement the belief that this is more than a flash in the pan of great form and rather a leap of improvement. There will always be doubts about that, but that's what will keep me on my toes to hopefully continue.

Still clinging on to top spot of the Division One merit table six games in, I can't believe it. Captain Aaron likes to remind me to take another screenshot with my phone (which I did!) but I expect it to be the last of it's kind going in to the lion's den next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment