Blog Archive

14/05/2026

WINNING RUN CONTINUES (FOR NOW)

Monday 11th May 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Westhoughton (134) 3-8 Eagle & Chiild 'A' (148)   (At Horwich Public Halls)

v JAMES BRACEGIRDLE W 21-1


With Westhoughton's green recovering from extensive repairs, their home games are currently played at the little known Horwich Public Halls. Only Shell Anderton in our team vaguely recalls playing here at any time, whilst the rest of us didn't know much about it at all.

It must have been a grand venue at one time. Set behind the impressive Halls building of local brickwork and conical slated towers, the shelf of Rivington Moor in the distance and a lovely greenside which these days perhaps receives more TLC than the actual playing surface itself. 

A smallish green with a big crown, there are some fairly aggressive lumps and bumps in places, but you take every away green as it comes and despite running a bit stiff and it's rough nature in places, I adapted to it quickly. 

This was a game in which I dominated as every lead bowl was close to the target, sometimes even bettering it with my second and this put James under the cosh from the off. 

The very first end could have planted a different story, I was fortunate that the jack stayed on near the edge, but boldy landed my first bowl right next to it. James came a very close second and third which initially made me think there was a tough contest ahead. Yet I was pretty much relentless from thereon, confidently round pegging all over the green wherever was available and seemed to land winner after winner. It was the most consistent session of lead bowling I've produced. 

At nineteen I sent another strong lead which James finally bettered, although I was a whisker off knocking him out again with my second. Part of me was pleased he'd got on the scoresheet. It's horrible being on the wrong end of a game like this, but James took his plight in good nature and was relieved and delighted to get on the board - "I've never been nilled before and never want to be either!".

Next end was awful, James pinged long to the opposite corner, was short with his first bowl and ran his second one off. I was even shorter with my first, my second wasn't though and despite going narrow again, cannoned of my first bowl for both to count. James didn't get much luck either.

Suffice to say this was the biggest margin of victory I've had to date and it's now nine wins from nine in league competition this season, more than doubling my previous best sequence. Time to ground myself again and keep calm before the big challenge ahead on Thursday in the Leyland League when this winning run is most likely to break. 

For Westhoughton, a return to their own green can't come quick enough and particularly my opponent who has now suffered two hefty defeats at their temporary home 

Another good win on the road for our Chorley League team places us second after three matches, with leaders Hoghton coming to our place next week for an early season banger. Just now we are looking in good shape and I'm pleased for our captain Margy after last season's scrap for squad numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment