Blog Archive

17/06/2026

CAUGHT IN ROY'S WEB

Monday 15th June 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Eagle & Child 'A' (132) 4-7 Hesketh Bank (135)
v ROY WEBSTER L 7-21

Another day, another 7-21 defeat! Once again I got a player who cut me very little slack. I could have done things differently. I should have turned over peg, I probably should have had long tapes out on these short marks Roy played. But I got absorbed in what my opponent was doing and tried to emulate it. Most of the time I wasn't far away. At 7-12 I was still in it with their scorer telling me this was a cracking game to watch. But I couldn't get the jack back after paying for a short second bowl and gave room for Roy's ferocious striking which was also bang-on all evening. 

Towards the end of the game I lost my cool - and I had done so well until then! I knew I was most likely on the slope to defeat, but was still enjoying the game. Disappointed with shot choices and my own strikes when there was a decent target to hit - probably slinging too hard under pressure - I can do a lot better than that and the disappointment brewed over in to frustration and giving the game away carelessly last end. I was seething with myself.

I let myself down, let the team down and we only lost by a few chalks which I should have stayed focused to try and deliver. Roy Webster's a damn good player who played a tight game here and it's felt like impossible game after another this last week or so. The reality is I've just not been good enough to find answers to big questions in this really difficult run of matches lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment