Blog Archive

15/06/2026

TAKING IT ON THE CHIN AGAINST THE BEARD

Sunday 14th June 2026
Federation National League Div-8: East Cheshire Parks 'B' (221) 10-4 Leyland (179)

At Hadfield BC

v DAVID THOMAS L 7-21


A week earlier a call from former Eagle teammate Chris Miller asking if I'd help out for Leyland Town Team's next match. So, for this debut in Federation bowls, a chance for a mental reset, play positively and just try to enjoy the game again.

Despite what the scoreline might suggest, I achieved those goals and will rarely play as well as I did to score just seven. 

On the outskirts of The Peak District, Hadfield is one big old tricky green and especially for our Leyland team who have never even seen the place before and are unlikely to visit ever again. I enjoyed playing it and aside from the odd rogue bowl and a poor last end, I felt I probably played well enough to have a chance of winning most games at this level but my opponent was absolutely exceptional.

Up against one of the two home bowlers in the East Cheshire side, it was always going to be a tough draw for me. But the man they call "The Beard" in these parts seemed to know every inch of the green and play it very precisely. I wouldn't say the score card flattered David because he played so consistently well, but I do think my lowly seven was a little unjust because this was a close game end for end. We were on the green a good while and I didn't concede too many twos when it could easily have been the case.

If David wasn't close first time on rare occasions, his adjustments were just incredible and I could only keep tapping my leg in applauding admiration for some of the stuff he put up. 

This game is strange. A 7-21 defeat and yet it feels like I'm back on track, got me feeling better about my game again and looking forward to tomorrow night's return to league action. 

Aside from the last end when I tried stretching David out on a long, strong pegging mark that I botched myself, there were no regrets. I tried everything I could, basically played a really good game under the circumstances but had to bow to the superiority of "The Beard". I assume he doesn't lose many at home, this fella.

The day was enjoyable overall. I travelled down with Aaron and Fox Lane bowlers Dave and Tracey Charlesworth and it was good to team up with different players. Would I do it again? Maybe, but this was a six hour affair overall and just now, fine as a one off and a little taster but not really fitting in with life as I know it.

Team Leyland came away from here with four winners from twelve which was a decent effort. Tracey Charlesworth, Gillian Brown, Gareth Whittle and Andy Seel all on the mark. This was only half the result though with twelve more players playing out the reverse home fixture at New Longton. A lot going on in these Federation games.


No comments:

Post a Comment