Blog Archive

10/07/2026

SIGNING OFF TO CHILL WITH A WIN

Monday 6th July 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Hesketh Bank (154) 8-2 Eagle & Child 'A' (134)
v JOHN GREENWOOD W 21-16

Initially I was relieved not to get county player Roy Webster again as I didn't fancy my chances of revenge, but scoring his game with Steve Marginson before I went on, I probably could have given him a run for his money. Roy wasn't as dominant on his own green this evening, opportunities were there and Steve played well, coming as close as anybody this season to beating him in this league. Margy fought back from 11-16 behind to 20-16 up, only for Roy to steal back in and then win the final end.
I faced John Greenwood who was an unknown quantity to me although it hadn't gone unnoticed he wins a good few more than he loses. A good start settled me down but perhaps I was guilty of leading out with some crazy round peg marks on Hesketh Bank's big crown that deserves more respect or warrants a much better player than me to pull them off. It gave John an opportunity to get me on a mark for a few ends that brought him back in to contention at eleven across. I was due to finally nail it and get out of there with a good one though and eventually I did, then putting a good run together to lead 18-13. That's when I tried another bloody stupid tricky lead off the crown, and whilst nothing is simple on this green, simpler should have been my choice and this allowed John to keep pecking away at the scorecard. 
The most important thing was that I got over the line and left the game on a win before going on a much needed holiday. I played mainly good ends, the bad ones were bad and tend to be really bad on this green. It can catch you out easily. Only Matt Hoyles joined me in the team's winner's enclosure though which is a blow for our perhaps over-ambitious hopes of a promotion push. 
A week and a half away from bowling greens of any description now should do me no harm. I've been getting a bit uptight, with attempts to press the reset button not working, but you can't beat getting away from it all to press reset the head for everything, not just a game of flipping bowls. 
As we're all about to leave in the car park, Vernon asks me where we're off to and then says, "Well make sure you f*ckin' chill, I mean proper f*ckin' chill!". Vern wants me to come back calm and on good form as much as I do.
A teammate on a Monday, Vernon is a Thursday night regular too but in a non-playing capacity. His unofficial role as "psychological coach/mentor" recently came to an end after our team's poor run of form. Vern says he resigned, we say he was sacked. Asked if he would ever be interested in a return to the "hot seat", "Am I f*ck. It's like floggin' a f*ckin' dead horse wi' you lot". You shouldn't have favourites, but Vern is one of mine at the Eagle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment