Blog Archive

13/08/2026

BULLIED

Monday 10th August 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Eagle & Child 'A' (153) 8-2 Westhoughton 'A' (119)
v CARL WHITFIELD L 13-21

Bullied. That's what I said to my opponent, that's what I said to my team as I came off and it sums up a difficult evening that put an end to a good run of satisfactory performances. 

Rather like my ramble about running form, when the bowling is going well too, it's just another perch to be eventually knocked off. 

In this match I was simply outclassed so it's the next match and the one after that which will determine whether this was a blip or a slump, but win or lose I need to play a more consistent game than this one. 

Carl needed no assistance to take control of the match, but I handed it with a poor start, unable to find a length and get a feel for the pace of the green, my opponent was getting them unnecessarily close and at something like 2-10 I knew some sort miracle was required. The miracle didn't happen, but after a few text book tantrums, kicking my woods in the gutter and chucking the mat, I restored a bit of pride and the latter half of the game scored 11-11. But aside from one sorry end, I had to land damn good bowls to squeeze anything out of Mr Whitfield.

When I have been done over at the Eagle this year it's tended to be a bit of a battering and whilst I've taken harder hits on the scorecard than tonight, this was as accomplished a performance that I've ever faced on my home green. By no means one dimensional, Carl sweetly stroked them out all over the green and rarely spared much of a gap to play in to. Impressive to say the least.

A disappointing night, but I can't let it get under my skin. For all the frustrations with myself earlier on in the game, I needed to be on top form with brass knobs on to have had any chance of pushing this fella further. Quite literally if you gave him an inch he would take the mile.

Carl is also a player in top form himself. His demolition of a very good player Andy Lund last week would be evidence of that. 

At least it turned out to be a good night for the team with six winners which puts us back up to third place with that six point gap to second placed Hesketh Bank. 

Two matches left, if we can have another good win at home next week and Hesketh Bank bonk at Black Horse, on paper it could look interesting. But then away at Coppull last game is no place to go with flighty ambition so I think finishing third would be a decent achievement for our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment