Blog Archive

16/08/2026

KEEPING THE PRIVETT TRIMMED BACK

Thursday 13th August 2026
Leyland & District League Div-1: Eagle Blues (187) 9-3 Farington BC 'B' (156)
v JEAN PRIVETT W 21-9

A nervy start during the early exchanges of this one. Land and length, or both, were off skew and Jean was leading well. Doubts had crept in. 

At 0-4 though I finally landed a bowl that felt good as it left my hand and I was in to the game. 

I improved as the game went on and started to send some good twos which stretched out a gap on the scorecard. 

It would be fair to say that the odd knock went against Jean. On one particular close end where she tapped me in, the patron saint of bad luck, Gary Drake, was nearby to witness my good fortune. He couldn't say too much more as my bold second bowl squeezed in for two though.

Having played Jean a few years ago here and somehow turning around a large deficit to win, I had an idea of what marks she liked and which ones could force errors. I managed to break her spell early enough this time and take control. Jean rallied late on with a good run but by limiting her to singles, little damage done before managing to finish the job.

With seven home winners overall, this turned out to be an important team win against our local rivals, ensuring we stay above them in ninth place and level on points with St George's for eighth place to now chase down with two to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment