Eagle & Child Arthur Parker President's Day Trophy
Qualifying Round
v HENRY HOYLES L 13-21 (both off -1)
Another difficult to draw to get through to qualify for President's Day and expecting nothing less than a tough game against young Henry.
On paper, I was arguably the marginal favourite perhaps, but taking nothing at all for granted I nevertheless didn't quite foresee taking such a battering.
Having played soundly the previous evening, more of that would have given me every chance. But this game descended in to a repetition of Monday night's helplessness and subsequent admiration for Carl Whitfield, and then some.
It was exhibition stuff from our club's youngest talent, which, combined with my own rather disappointing show for a large portion of the match, made for a completely one-sided affair and in a real pickle with the scores at 4-18.
Henry was relentless and dictated for such a long period. I was actually 3-1 up early doors before the fifteen year old got in to his top groove, playing as consistently well as I have seen him - and as my teammate in both league teams I play for - I've seen quite a bit of him. His leads were bob-on and playing sime tricky marks too, his second bowl just as much of a nuisance and I was conceding hurtful twos at an alarming rate.
Henry gained more and more confidence as the game went on. A couple of opportunities to break his momentum were wasted with poor second bowls to back up the first and he punished me for those as well. The heat was on, all eyes of a good turnout were watching this last match on the green and as expected, were mainly partisan for the youngster to succeed.
When finally he bodged an end and I mopped up an easy two, Henry's domination was broken but not his threat. Two really good ends got me back to 11-19, but then I inexplicably went narrow with my lead on a mark I've played well hundreds of times and once again Henry punished me. It took a very decent second bowl to save the match. I then broke back again with another close twosome and they had to be, before sending two really lovely ones round peg in to the entrance corner - now potentially lying 15-19 and thinking this could get interesting. But Henry gives me the sign he's going to play through and with power and precision smacked everything off the green and I could do nowt but join in a rapturous round of applause that resonated around the whole ground.
Holy shit, what a bloody good hit that was!
Trying to stretch him out again down to the pavillion edge where I had a bit of joy a few ends earlier, this time I just overcooked the jack and it wobbled it's way to the gutter. Back to being frustrated and annoyed with myself, Henry sends us on a straightish mark and I initially somehow miss the land, but my second one counts. Then here he comes again, this time with less vigour but equal brilliance to play through and take the jack with him.
I made a fight of it to some degree in the end, but there can be no denying Henry was excellent and thoroughly deserved the win.
In my sixth season of crown green, this result condemns me to the sidelines on President's Day for the first time. It's disappointing to say the least, but note to self - this is still a very good season I'm having, so dust yourself down again and stay positive going in to my next match.
No comments:
Post a Comment