Thursday 30th July 2026
Leyland & District League Div-1: Eagle Blues (195) 10-2 Hoghton (118)
v RICHARD LATHAM W 21-7
Starting this game with possibly the worst, most pathetically short and narrow twosome I've sent all season, I couldn't have possibly considered for one fleeting moment that it would end up one of my best performances of the season. Things looked even more ominous next end when I knocked Richard back in when going greedy to get that two back straight away, but after that I settled down and was confident I could at least give this fella a game again.
Having met earlier in the season in the Chorley League and hanging on to him before taking a nervy deciding final end, I was ready for another intense battle this evening. I'm not sure Richard was extra revved up for revenge as I expected though, introducing himself at the mat as if we'd never met before. Maybe that match back in May was a game he wanted to forget. He might want to forget this one too.
Our green was running again tonight, dried out and freshly cut - just my cup of tea. Having reversed that suspect start to lead 5-4, I then went on a break and confidence began to soar. When I finally lost the jack I got it straight back with a great bowl and then once again, this time lucky as my bowl slowly kissed off both of Richard's and I hear the score at 16-6. A couple more occasions I had the rub when Richard returned the favour to knock mine up and also played through a gap that didn't look possible. But generally, this was a score well earned. I got on top and kept up the pressure.
Even with such a good lead I tried to almost erase that fact from my mind because I was in a good place, putting up some really good woods and my lead bowls were excellent most of the time. I also felt Richard was still a big threat. Seeing the game out in a similar manner, this was one hell of a result against a really good player and there's no point trying to play it cool. I was well pleased with how I played and was buzzing about it.
It turned out to be a long overdue cracking result for our team too. Eight winners and ten points is a massive boost to strengthen our lately weakening status of first division consolidation.
Hoghton again Monday for the return fixture in the Chorley League and a one in eight chance of a third meeting with Richard, surely not? For me, to beat him twice of late is quite a feat. On his home green though would be a totally different challenge altogether. Surprisingly this year Richard has yet to find success in an away game in this league, but he's taken seven wins from eight at home and mainly convincing ones.
It turned out to be a long overdue cracking result for our team too. Eight winners and ten points is a massive boost to strengthen our lately weakening status of first division consolidation.
Hoghton again Monday for the return fixture in the Chorley League and a one in eight chance of a third meeting with Richard, surely not? For me, to beat him twice of late is quite a feat. On his home green though would be a totally different challenge altogether. Surprisingly this year Richard has yet to find success in an away game in this league, but he's taken seven wins from eight at home and mainly convincing ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment