Chorley & District League Div-2: Hoghton (162) 9-1 Eagle & Child 'A' (95)
v CHRIS MILLER SNR W 21-15
Chris Miller Senior is a grand and genuine sort of chap who would be the first to admit he's not the most difficult opponent on the esteemed Hoghton card these days.
But despite a record that doesn't collect too many wins at this level, he put up a really good fight to make sure my fourth visit to Hoghton was as uncomfortable as usual.
Initially I was hanging on to Chris thanks to some really good adjustments, but my first bowl was letting me down and my opponent was punishing me for it.
Chris Miller Junior was marking the card and remarked that this was the best his Dad had played all season. He certainly had his moments and put some excellent bowls up, but I managed to stick with him and on hearing 14-14 had just started to put a few good lead bowls together and finally started to swing the game in my favour. A couple of well placed twos helped to create a gap in the scores when it mattered.
I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand the green at Hoghton but each visit brings a little more enlightenment for the next one. I survived this evening with a bad back too so a decent result all in all.
Chris revealed afterwards he has downsized and dropped weight with some new bowls and this was the third outing without his name old 2.10's. I'd say a good move in this evidence.
Hoghton top the division and battered us tonight to more or less seal promotion. A night to forget for the Eagle players, but everyone at the green that night will remember Andy Seel and Michelle Anderton unable to keep the jack on from a tricky area on this narrow green that forced them in to either of the fast corners to get a length. No fewer than nine attempts between these two before the jack finally stayed on the green... just.
I don't know what the record is, but that's got to be up there!
No comments:
Post a Comment