Thursday 6th August 2026
Leyland & District League Div-1: St George's Institute (192) 8-4 Eagle Blues (162)
v HARRY RADCLIFFE W 21-14
I was looking forward to this second visit to St George's in Chorley - it's a funky green to say the least. Full of undulations, troughs, ridges and not a straight forward mark on the whole playing surface.
Whilst starting to get to grips with it too late to save my game here last year, I nevertheless enjoyed playing it.
This game with Harry started out like two elite bowlers thrashing it out. Brilliantly close ends and each of us having to find something class to get a score. That level had to give a little and of course it did. Whilst the match had a few scrappy ends it still remained a really good contest and I was generally pleased with how I played again. As probably the more consistent of the two of us, this helped build up a small lead. A few well placed twos caught Harry out and stamped my mark on a game that had looked like it could go to the wire. Whilst it's never over until it's over, the all important 'c' word and mysterious power - confidence - told me I would get to twenty-one first.
Lately I have found much more patience in my game and a better mental endurance. Starting the season in the fine form that I did, coming out of the subsequent mid-season wobble and mini-meltdown, I feel I have returned to form even stronger. Whether results continue to keep going my way or not, there is a confidence in how I am going to play just now and yet without the feeling of putting myself under pressure.
Four winners for our team tonight wasn't a bad result here and I was happy to share the sweep with birthday boy Colin Proctor. We are safe from any relegation issues and have three games left from which we should be looking to try and recover a couple of places in the table.
No comments:
Post a Comment